About the transition to ACSL
ACSL was established in December 2020 and is a company limited by guarantee which is owned by the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference (ACBC), Catholic Religious Australia (CRA) and the Association of Ministerial Public Juridic Persons (AMPJP).
From January to June 2021, ACSL is working to transition the functions and services of the two previous bodies - Australian Catholic Centre for Professional Standards and Catholic Professional Standards Ltd - into one organisation. During this transition period, the work of the previous bodies will continue as planned.
From March 2021, ACSL is responsible for:
- maintaining the National Catholic Safeguarding Standards and assisting Catholic entities to implement the Standards and other national protocols;
- implementing a framework for review/audit of the safeguarding practices of Catholic entities and reporting the results of those audits/reviews;
- providing oversight of complaints management at a national level by: providing an independent process for responding to complaints against Church Authorities; providing an independent review mechanism for complaints managed by a Church Authority; and assisting Church Authorities to implement Vos Estis Lux Mundi;
- implementing and managing the continuous review of the National Response Protocol
- administering the Australian Catholic Ministry Register (ACMR); and
- assisting Church entities to meet their legislative obligations in relation to safeguarding and professional standards.
Key information & documents
11 December 2020 - Statement from ACSL Board Chair Prof. The Hon. Michael Lavarch AO.
4 December 2020 - Special edition newsletter on the launch of ACSL.
3 December 2020 - ACSL's Board Members publicly announced.
3 December 2020 - Media release from ACSL on the announcement.
3 December 2020 - Media release from ACBC/CRA/AMPJP on ACSL's launch.
FAQs - last updated 3 December 2020
ACSL’s Members have prepared initial Frequently Asked Questions about the formation and function of ACSL.
View the FAQs.
You may also like to visit the websites of the Members to find out more about them: